Sunday, December 14, 2003

I am the Rabbit!

Today I raced the 10k skate Noram race at COP. The course was 4 laps of every bit of trail at COP, plus a trip down into the jumping bowl, and a little noodle on the downhilll area. Warm up was interesting, since the course was closed for the Women's race. However, the course opened briefly before the men started, so I was able to some pre-race intensity on the course.
This was my first race in the top seed. For the start of this year I am ranked 23rd, and this was the first time the top seed had been big enough. I drew number 1, and the top seed started first, so I was the first man out of the gate: the Rabbit. I figured this was not too bad, as I would be lapping as the middle of the seed started, and I might be able to catch a ride with somebody fresher. That didn't workout, but on the third lap I skied a bit with Casey Dyck, although I seemed to get a few meters back at times, not really utilizing the draft. Right in the last finishing straight, I was passed by George Grey, who started 1 minute behind me. In all a pretty good race, but maybe a little too comfortable, never reaching into the realms of true "hurt". I'm still figuring out how to get into that "all out" gear you need in a fast race. The winning time was 23:03 for 10k. My time was 24:23, good enough for 12th. Full results here.

No comments: