Sunday, February 17, 2008

Gatineau Loppet 2008

This loppet was formerly known as the Keskinada! I pieced together a trip and went for it. A 53km skate was on the agenda. I did this race last year, but they used a different course then, since they didn't have enough snow. I wasn't sure what to expect coming off some sickness and not much training.

I had a good start and my skis felt good. At the first real uphill I pushed the pace a bit to see what would happen. As we lapped through the stadium at 9km, Cyrus and Ivan of xc.com went to the front. On a narrow uphill section at around 12km, Ivan attacked and Cyrus blocked. I yell "GO OR MOVE" and that seemed to convince Cyrus to move off to the side and I started to chase. But I couldn't get back on Ivan so I eventually pulled off and the German, Robin and Karl Saidla pulled through. Saidla let a gap open up and I figured that was ok. As we came out on the parkway, Karl and I were about 20 seconds behind the front three (apparently Ivan missed a turn and that's how the others caught up). We tried to catch back up, but it wasn't happening and eventually Karl skied away a bit on Penguin. The next 13k or so I was a bit behind Karl and ahead of a few others. Steudler caught me and then as we caught Karl, Jeffries pulled through. Carl and Chris were setting a good pace and I could follow them. Suddenly at 35k, my legs stopped working and I couldn't ski properly. Shortly after, Karl and Will passed me and I couldn't stay with them. I was on my own heading back on the open parkway and losing lots of time. Cyrus passed me with about 5k to go and there was nothing I could do. Unfortunately, it just wasn't my day and I finished 9th.

Full results.

No comments: