Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Nationals 10km Classic

The Nationals 10k used the 3.3k (3500m) loop. You essentially climbed from the stadium to the top of the course, then worked your way to the low point over fast, twisty downhills and gradual uphills. Then, you climbed back up to the top of the last downhill, which takes you back into the stadium. I hadn't skied the course too much, but I found that the course suited me, because the climbs weren't too steep, and there were a few sections where I could really hammer double pole. I started near the front of the best seed and at the first split I was 4th, 10 seconds down on the leader, Koos. My skis were working well in the track, I had grip and they were rocket in the glazed track. I ended up on a klister/hard wax mix, although some of our guys had gone out on straight hard wax.


On the second lap, the track had changed and I started slipping in a few places. I double poled a few sections where I normally would have strided. At the split Dave told me I was 2nd, just 6 seconds down on Koos. I was encouraged by this result and was thinking I could be the leader when I finished. Later in the lap, Eric told me I was 3rd, 15 seconds down. This seemed a bit odd, because my skis were gliding well there wasn't any climbing between the two stations. It didn't matter though, because you always take splits with a grain of salt.


The last lap I tried to pick it up, but I was slipping a lot. I hopped out of the track on the climbs and my grip would ice and I could climb trees. This was an advantage until I got to the tops of the hills and I would try to kick off the ice so I could glide. Luckily the ice seemed to go away quite quickly. Somebody yelled that I was making time on Kershaw, which was encouraging. Nighbor caught me for 30 seconds and we skied together until he switched tracks to get around a couple Foothills guys. I followed, but my skis grabbed a bit in the non glazed track, and he got a small gap that I never closed up. He usually has a good finished, so I was happy I traveled at the same speed for the last couple k's.


I ended up 15th overall and 10th Canadian, so I was satisfied with the result. It turned out that I was 2nd when I finished, with Chris Cook holding the lead. In hindsight, I would say that either Dave missed him, or he absolutely motored in the middle of the race. It is hard to say, but I know a lot of guys who finished ahead of me used "zero" skis (special skis designed to be roughed up instead of using kick wax), so I may have been able to place better if I had a pair of those skis. I know Kershaw and Nighbor were on zero skis. It felt good to be able to unload, and have that feeling like you're "in the race".

Results

No comments: