Sunday, January 25, 2004

Lake Louise to Banff Loppet

The course follows the Bow River and Bow Valley Parkway from the Chateau Lake Louise to Central Park in downtown Banff. My leg, Leg 1, started at 8 am, which was right at daybreak. The forecast called for the temperature to drop overnight, and a heavy snowfall was expected. As it turned out, the cold came through a bit later in the day, but there was plenty of fresh snow. The first part of the track was gradual downhill and was covered in about 6 inches of slightly wet snow. Luke McGurk and I shared the track breaking duties for the entire field. I could hear skiers behind me in casual conversation and I thought they should try taking the lead.
At 3 k, I looked back and saw the entire field still with the lead train, including the soloists, who ski the whole 70km distance themselves. Since most of the course is not normally groomed, there was no base for the track, which was set not long before the start. It suffices to say that these were the softest conditions I had ever encountered. It was very difficult to get any grip, as you pushed down on the ski it just sank. I also did not bother to change my race baskets, which would punch through on almost every pole, to powder baskets. I even managed to break a tip! My technique was useless, with no power coming from neither my upper body nor my lower body; I was essentially thrashing my way down the trail. After a badly timed hesitation at a junction, I ended up second, just behind Niclas Christoffersson. They said the leg was 17 km, but it took almost 1:25. My team comprised of Milaine Theriault, Joel Jaques, Sarah Daitch, Sarah Robinson and Cathy Jaques and we won the event, despite my epic struggle. Great work team!

No comments: